August 25, 2014 2:47 pm
ALREC is a government funded, non-profit organization that educates and assists medical providers in Alabama to select, implement and use certified electronic health record technology. They provide technical assistance and education to Alabama medical and healthcare providers for all stages of what is called “Meaningful Use.”
In 2013 ALREC contracted with STA Digital to help them define and then implement a digital strategy to better serve current customers and expose them to new potential customers. The digital strategy lead to a completely new, responsive website that was built in the ExpressionEngine content management system (CMS). Following are more details regarding the process and steps employed to accomplish this goal.
The initial discovery phase and digital strategy engagement included:
- An audit of the existing ALREC website, past traffic trends and technology platforms.
- Research about the current state of the organization, promotional activities and target audiences.
- Competitive analysis.
- Research on current search engine rankings and possible keywords and phrases to target for future growth.
- Recommendations on the best tools, technologies and platforms (CMS systems, hosting, related technologies) through which to implement the final recommended strategy.
- A content strategy that lead to an updated site architecture diagram and content outline.
- Detailed technical requirements and website template documentation.
User Experience Design
Once the digital strategy was finalized, it informed the guidelines, goals and plans used to drive the creation of the new user experience. This process included:
- Creation of detailed wireframes based on the approved site templates.
- Technical requirements and content strategy goals that clearly defined the page structure, navigation, content organization and site features.
- Preliminary through final design concepts of the main page template types for the new user interface.
- A “mobile first” user interface that was also thoughtfully designed for desktop users.
Development and Production
Once the new user interface was created and finalized, we moved into the development phase which included:
- Integrating the HTML files into the ExpressionEngine CMS.
- Site production efforts which included entering all final content into the website, the creation of custom graphics and infographics for the website and the selection and placement of appropriate photography and images.
- Video editing and enhancements.
- Setting up all KPI’s and measurable goals in Google Analytics to ensure the business goals could be objectively measured.
- Testing, QA and launch of the new responsive website.
- Creation of a targeted Google Adwords PPC campaign.
This collaborative effort produced a visually appealing and more refined ALREC brand experience. The site became an effective business tool that can be a powerful resource for existing members and also drive new member leads. The ability for ALREC to monitor and measure their business goals (using Google Analytics) will be invaluable for making ongoing decisions on ways to improve the customer experience and attract new members, thereby building the brand.